Apply for Admission
Each year, the MM Grad program accepts students from diverse disciplines. As the program is team-based, we look for artists that exhibit:
- Significant depth of skill and craft in at least one area of digital media [MORE]The committee is looking for evidence of your best work in your area of digital media according to the types of artworks and pieces that are typical for that area. For instance, if your area of digital media is graphic design, the committee would be looking for your best designed pieces. Or as another example, if your primary area of digital media is audio production, the committee would be listening for your best work. How you choose to provide evidence in your portfolio of depth of skill and craft in your primary area of digital media is up to you. Keep in mind that regardless of the method you choose, it should communicate your intentions clearly.
- Adequate skill and craft in a secondary area of digital media [MORE]The committee is looking for evidence of adequate work in a secondary area of digital media. This is quite wide and open to interpretation but just as with the evidence presented in your primary area, your presented artworks and pieces should communicate your intentions clearly.
- Evidence of interactivity in the submitted porfolio [MORE]The committee is looking to see that you've got some experience working with interactive media. Common forms of this are websites involving navigation or interactive widgets, DVDs with menus and indexes, interactive PDFs, Flash/SWF individual projects, MAX/MSP or Pure Data projects or use of MIDI in performance, or any other medium that features reaction to minimal amounts of user input. Often, your portfolio itself is proof of this, especially if you submit your works to be viewed on a website that you designed or content management system that you modified.
Tips for a successful application:
- Show only your best work; the committee values quality over quantity
- Refer to your portfolio in your statement of purpose
- Call the program office with any questions: (510) 885-3204
- Download and review the Portfolio Guidelines PDF
Important Dates for Fall 2013 EntryDepartment and University applications for Fall Quarter 2013 Entry
|June 30, 2013||Multimedia department application for Fall Quarter 2013 is due|
|June 30, 2013||The University Application for Fall Quarter 2013 is due for international applicants residing outside the U.S.|
|June 30, 2013
||University Application for Fall Quarter 2012 is due for U.S. residents and international applicants residing inside the U.S. (with F-1 visa)|
Information Sessions for Fall 2013 Entry
Information sessions for all who are interested in learning more about the program are scheduled once a month beginning in October. The Director presents an overview of the program, reviews the application process, presents samples of graduate student projects, a tour of the facilities and answers questions. If you want to attend an information session, please contact us.